All About Pink Mold On Food and Why It’s Dangerous

Mold usually grows on food that had been stored for a long time. If you notice a bright pink mold on food, it means that it’s time for you have to throw it away. Pink mold on food is a bacterial colony which consists of other types of molds within.

Aureobasidium and Fusarium are some bacterial species that has pink color as they grow. These are the pink molds that you usually see in food or even from other parts of your house. It can house other types of molds like the gray and white mold.

Pink Mold On FoodPink fuzzy mold on food is a sign that it is no longer good for you to consume it since bacteria and germs have settled there. They have infested the food and germs already spread inside and out. Pink mold on food is the most dangerous type of mold even it may look harmless especially if you like the color pink. It may look nice but when it comes to mold, its another story.

There are different types of mold that may grow on your food if you are not keen enough to observe them. Since mold is a type of fungus, it means that it needs some source of nutrients in order for them to spread and grow. You can also see the texture of it like a spider’s web and the fiber that can float around when you touch it. Some molds also have a bad odor that is being secreted along with its toxins.

Molds can come into different colors like white, black, green or pink. The molds in blue cheese are said to be safe since this type of mold does not have toxins like the other variety. It can even be good for your health. But for most cases, molds can provide some health risks to your body.

What are molds?

Molds are fungi that float as spores in the air. When these spores land on your food, it will form a mold. Since these are not plants, it cannot process its own food. They secrete toxins to food so it will rot and it will be easier for them to absorb it as they grow. It produces a different color and odor in food because of the toxins.

As gross as it sounds, there are thousands of molds around. It is different in every food variety. But once the food catches mold, it will start with the white colored mold. Then it can change to black or pink colored mold. It only means that it is producing more and more molds and spores to spread as wider as they can get.

What are the dangers of mold to your health?

1. Allergic Reactions

There are people who seem to be allergic to everything. If you happen to be one of them, make sure to stay away from molds. It may cause you to cough or sneeze when the furlike formation floats in the air. You may also have rashes that can go from mild to severe cases.

2. Pneumonia or Bronchitis

Some bacteria causes pneumonia or bronchitis and molds is a form of bacteria so you have to be careful when you see it. If you inhale the toxins that are coming from molds, it can add up to your condition.

3. UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)

Exposure to pink molds can cause infections as well since it is their breeding ground for bacteria.

4. Gastrointestinal Ailments

In most cases, people may not notice that their food is already contaminated with these type of molds. Since it comes in different colors, it can look the same as the food they about to consume. In most cases, toddlers are more exposed to this since they have a habit of putting everything on their mouths.

You may also likeĀ How to Spot Dangerous Black Mold

5. Food Poisoning

This is one of the extreme cases when you accidentally ingest food with pink mold. Since this bacteria colony also produce toxins, it can form a type of poison on food which is harmful to your health.

Conclusion

In conclusion, the pink mold of food can be dangerous to your health. It does not even require ingestion for you to get an allergic reaction. Exposure alone to these fuzzy pink mold on food can cause some health problems already. When you see pink mold on food, just get rid of it right away to avoid further damage and contamination.