Green mold is one of the most common mold you can find within your living area. ‘Green mold’ is a term used to define mold with greenish color, regardless of its species. In short, it does not represent one type of species. Most mold exhibits greenish color, at least in one phase of their life cycle, including the mold you commonly find in your house. Several types of mold that exhibit greenish color in their life cycle are Cladosporium, Penicillium, and Aspergillum. Even so, these species can also appear in other color, such as yellow, brown, or gray. The first stage of green mold growth is usually the occurrence of dark spots in various areas of your house. Removing these spots as soon as possible is very important to avoid uncontrollable growth of this mold.
If you ignore it, they will form fuzzy layers that will ruin the looks of your house, especially if you find this green mold on walls. Raking the green mold’s surface, particularly the darker types, may spread the spores even further. You can also smell the typical musty odor generates by molds. Thus, removing green mold on exterior walls and other parts of your house with the right method is very important.
The occurrence of green mold on walls is quite common. The wide surface can be considered an ideal environment for mold to grow, especially you live in moisture environment or there is a leakage problem. Even so, the problem is often not obvious enough for you to recognize it immediately. Plumbing or moisture problem inside the wall structure let the mold grow within the walls. Once it appear on the wall surface, the problem may be severe enough for you to call for professional help. The worst case of green mold growth will need you to renovate or remodel your wall completely. There are also times when you can only find green mold behind wallpaper, which means you have to remove your entire wallpaper to get rid of it.
Once you see green mold spots on wall, you need to immediately take action, especially if you have allergic persons or people considered as vulnerable groups living inside your house. Mold exposure to these vulnerable groups can cause various medical problem, mainly respiratory issues, such as pneumonia, bronchitis, and lung inflammation. Penicillium may causes lung inflammation and sinus infections. If you, or your family shows some symptoms that may be caused by mold exposure, immediately visit the doctor. After the symptoms are treated, you need to remove the mold in your house to avoid further and more severe allergic symptoms.
Eliminating green mold resistant drywall or any mold that appear inside you house can be pretty time-consuming, complex, and difficult process, especially if your mold growth is on severe level. When you start removing the mold, the spores of the mold are dispersed onto the air. It makes the mold easily spread to other parts of home. You may also unconsciously inhale mold spores, which may lead to mold sickness. Thus, you need to protect and cover yourself during mold removal process. Block your working area with large durable plastic. A lot of professionals suggest setting negative pressure up within the working area to ensure no mold spore spread further to other part of your house. Do not forget to use protective gear during the process, such as disposable gloves, face mask, disposable shoe and hair covers.
Several things you can use to remove green mold on walls are baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and vinegar solution. You can mix water with distilled vinegar inside a spray bottle and spray them to the moldy walls. The vinegar acidity will help to remove light mold issue. After an hour, wipe the walls with wet sponges. For hydrogen peroxide, you can mix it with water inside spray bottle. Use 3% hydrogen peroxide. Spray the mixture onto the moldy wall and wait for ten minutes. Wipe your wall with wet cloth or sponge. Baking soda can be used in the same way as hydrogen peroxide. Make sure to throw away every cloth and sponge you use after the cleaning mold process. If the mold still comes back despite vigorous cleaning, calling for professional helps is more recommended.